Character Illustration: From Concept to Final Artwork Premium class
- 1x (Normal)
Welcome to the Class6:01
Sketching Your Character23:23
Working in Illustrator16:16
Rendering in Photoshop, Part 117:35
Rendering in Photoshop, Part 243:38
Color Adjustments and Texture17:55
About This Class
This class will teach you how to illustrate using shapes and color to define form, rather than inked outlines.
In this class I'll be taking you through my process of illustrating a character, starting with the concept, then moving into Illustrator to create the shapes, and finally, rendering it in Photoshop. I'll also talk briefly about texture and color adjustments.
What You'll Learn
- Finding Inspiration. We'll discuss sources of inspiration and identify a project we're passionate about.
- Character Concepts. We'll sketch out the initial idea of your character.
- Building the Foundation in Illustrator. The shape tool will help you build a foundation for your character.
- Rendering in Photoshop. You'll use masks in Photoshop to render a detailed version of your character.
- Color Adjustment and Texture. You'll use color adjustment and texture tools to fine tune your project.
What You'll Make
This class is perfect for the beginning artist, or even a professional one who's looking to learn a new style. Once the class is done, you'll have a fully illustrated pirate, (or other fun character of your choosing), to add to your portfolio.
Class Projects 502 See All
581 of 592 students recommendSee All
Great class! Lots of little nuggets of tips and tricks to improve your workflow and illustrations overall. Albeit a bit slow in pace, it's nice to see Matt's full process from concept to completion. Highly recommend!
Matt Kaufenberg is a freelance illustrator from Alexandria, Minnesota. Originally working as freelance graphic designer after college, he eventually decided to pursue a career in illustration, always his true passion.
For over two years, he has had the pleasure of illustrating some fantastic projects and working with companies such as Target, Nickelodeon, American Greetings, and more. He is influenced by artists from the 60's and 70's, especially children's book illustrators.
He also teaches occasional classes for Alexandria Technical College's Communication Art and Design program.
In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and their three kids.