Quick Piano using an innovative shapes method: 50,000 minutes viewed so far! As featured on BBC News
- 1x (Normal)
PIano: Beginners course - What the course covers and who it's for2:40
Finding the notes4:04
Sharps and flats6:44
Left hand bass line2:37
Rocking Bass line two fingers1:44
Playing inbetween the count3:14
Johnny Cash's Hurt8:23
Sam Smith's stay with me8:27
Skinny love bon iver/birdy5:02
Imagine John Lennon9:10
About This Class
Course updated 11/01/16
Over 70 reviews, with a 96% approval rating! So you can nearly please everybody :)
“I am just blown away by this. I am kicking myself that I did not know this sooner. I would have been playing piano for years by now if I'd realised how easy it would be"....Would you like to know the four simple shortcuts that changed everything for her?
Using intuitively simple shapes and patterns, discover how to play songs in just an hour (side stepping common barriers to playing, such as having to read music). Designed to be just long enough to give you exactly the knowledge you need, yet manageably short enough that you actually complete it (no filler) it really is possible in just one hour to learn enough to have a lifetime of fun and enjoyment actually playing. I know it's a really tall claim, but..read the reviews
But is it proper music? Well, that depends what you want to get out of it. Many people's experiences of being taught music are ones of being made to feel 'unmusical'. That's because the dominant form of piano teaching is focussed on first knowing how to read music. We remove that barrier enabling people to experience the joy of playing incredibly quickly and easily, you can use this method to play any song you want, if you don't think that's 'proper' music because you're not reading the notes then that's ok, this isn't for you, but generations of rock, electronic, country, pop, folk musicians would probably disagree with you.
All songs you hear are made up of chords. They are the building blocks of songs. If you know enough chords you can play any song. After doing the course you'll know how to play 48 of them and we do it in under an hour.
"I am confident I could sit down at a keyboard and play any of the 48 chords covered, instantly without needing to refer to these videos; now I know the system. If you'd love to learn to play the keyboard or piano, this is for you. You will be playing all of your favourite songs in no time at all."
To put that into a little perspective you can actually use the same four chords (IN THE SAME ORDER) to play thousands of songs (you'll learn how to do that if you take the course).
"Making something that appears extremely complicated into something simple and understandable is an art. This course is the first I have ever done that had me hooked from the first minute, and Simon is a superb instructor. Student
I'm a professional musician with 20 years top flight experience, four record contracts, years of international touring, and major festival appearances. I stopped touring and started teaching finding that I was really good at explaining quite complicated concepts in ways that anyone can understand. Now highly in demand, I've set up this course to be able to share that knowledge wider
Read enough? Get playing now!
What are the requirements?
- No prior music experience needed
- If you have a piano or a keyboard then great!
- If you don't, it's not a problem just download a simple piano app onto your phone or Ipad and see if it works for you before investing in a keyboard
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 15 lectures and 1.5 hours of content!
- A Manageable condensed course that's full of content and no filler, getting the job at hand done as quickly and easily as possible.
- Learn every note on the keyboard in 5 minutes
- Intuitively understand how to play chords, the building blocks of the vast majority of songs
- Have the independence and knowledge to search the internet for the chords of the songs they love, and be able to play them!
- Be able to play Major, Minor, Sharp, Flat and 7th chords
- Develop independence with your left hand
- Be able to improvise on the Piano, no written music needed
- Be able to build your own chord progressions, even write your own songs
- Read a chord chart
- Have a world of fun and satisfaction inherent in being able to play a musical instrument opened up for them
What is the target audience?
- For beginners
- Didn't get on with music lessons at school but would love to play - This is for you
- Anyone who wants to feel great about themselves finaly realising their ambition to play a musical instrument!
- Not for advanced players
Class Projects 5 See All
133 of 137 students recommendSee All
This class is wonderful! I still have 2 videos to go, but after the first few videos I was able to play music that had only words with guitar chords over them (no notes like sheet music ) and it sounded great! Simon is a master at leading students (beginners as well as piano lesson drop outs) to be able to play chords with bass accompaniment using clear, easy steps. He includes quick reviews and reminders, then takes your further in a logical flow. My goal was not to play classic sheet music, but just to enjoy accompaniment when family gathers with guitars and keyboards. This is the first time that I am sure of myself and play quite a bit without errors. It is also the first time that I want to play for others and am not afraid to do so. I encourage anyone interested in learning to play chords to take this class. You will be amazed at how fast and how well you learn.
Teacher & researcher
I have 20 years experience as an internationally touring musician. I've been lucky enough to have had 4 record contracts and appeared at major festivals all around the world. I've helped hundreds of people to realise that actually they can play an instrument, it's not an impossibility and it can be a lot of fun, and it can make you feel great about yourself.