Such a simple exercise that I have been neglecting for such a long time.
I ended up spending about a week going through all of my watercolors and some gouache and really studying the colors. Then I got a new set of half pans in, so I obviously had to try them all out. :P I even went through some new watercolor pencils.
I also made a bunch of crazy abstracts to use up the paint.
I learned a lot from mixing my Dr Ph Martins Hydrus. I picked the red, blue, and yellow I thought would create a fairly primary palette. You can see (on the left below) that I was so off. The red, blue, and yellow that made a primary palette were completely different colors. Blew my mind.
Below was the mess I made with some watercolor tubes.
Gouache. This was fun. I only had primary colors from years ago when I was in school. I had never even used them. I was able to get a nice little palette for the bottom abstract.
Last is from my new set of Sennelier half pans. Was super excited to see what these looked like. Some brush practice happening, too.
This is such a versatile activity, and will be an indispensable part of my process going forward. I can't believe I never took the time to study my paints!
Next up will be some blending sessions! I will update with that progress soon.