Taking this course and doing these exercises helps in developing new creative concepts when you are stuck. I found it a fun way to boost my creativity.
For this exercise I imagined creating a hero banner for a botanical garden website, this is my result:
1. This is the original one
2. Play with depth of field. Or add more blur + Adjust the crop and composition.
3. Make your most important or bold elements even more bold + Change the graphical pathways and alignments in your composition. Look at the pathways typography, edges, boxes, or grouped UI element make.
4. Make it less “safe.” + Add a design flourish. E.g., icons, lines, styles
5. Adjust the crop and composition + Soften or round the edges + Change your main typography with something completely different
6. Group similar content or elements. Think of proximity. (closure) + Experiment with the opacity of things