First Hat Project of 2016

First Hat Project of 2016 - student project

Here is the yarn I'm going to use for this slouchy hat project. It's two leftover skeins from a cowl neck project I made two years ago. Because there's more of it, I'm going to start with the burgundy yarn first. After mastering this first attempt, I'd like to invest in new yarn, but for now, I'm going ot use up scrap.

I'm using two circular needles. Unfortunately, I don't own 7 mm gauge, so I'm using 6 and 5 mm instead. I'll have to pick up a set of 6mm DP needles.

Here's my gauge swatch. I used the 6mm circular needles and made 23 stitches and 22 rows.

I counted 15 stitches and 15 rows within 4 inches. This is much smaller than the gauge recommendations in the pattern.