This started out as a revision of a character that I have had in my head for several years. I finally fleshed it out enough via rough sketches; I finally settled on this using a piace of copy paper.
I proceeded to the ditigal inking stages, trying to perfect that phase of my illustrations. My freehand feathering has a long way to go so I end up having to "cheat" a bit to acheive the look I want.
I started my flats in Photoshop (which I actually find enjoyable), I was toying around with color scheme a bit before I went into the final phase.
From here I dove in and really tried to implement much of what I learned in the tutorials. Especially using screen layers, banding (cuts) and gradients. I also used texture overlays on the tunic and leather.