You’ve probably been hearing a lot about self care lately. Self care is touted as the key to preserving your mental and physical health, no matter how chaotic life gets. And self care has plenty of benefits, but have you heard about self empowerment?
Just like self care, self empowerment is an important tool to have in your personal development toolkit. Knowing how to empower yourself is critical if you want to achieve your goals and feel like the best, healthiest, most fulfilled version of yourself. But how exactly does self empowerment work, and what are some practical ways to take advantage of it? Read on to find out.
What Is Self Empowerment?
Self empowerment is the practice of intentionally choosing to be in control of your destiny. You’ll get more tips to help you take charge of your life shortly, but first, let’s take a minute to envision what the end result of being in the regular habit of self empowerment might look like.
When self empowerment becomes a priority, you’ll feel more confident and focused about the things you hope to achieve. You won’t sweat obstacles or inconveniences because you’ll trust that you have what it takes to overcome them. You’ll understand your strengths and weaknesses and use that information to pursue success on the terms that are right for you.
That all sounds pretty inspiring, right? Let’s learn more.
Why Is Self Empowerment Important?
Here are a few of the most meaningful benefits of self empowerment:
- It guides your decision-making. With self empowerment top of mind, you’ll feel more prepared to make smart, informed choices about matters big and small. You’ll have a clear sense of your goals and can use that confidence when determining the best decision to make in any given situation.
- It will encourage you to develop your skills. Knowing where you’re trying to go, you can invest time and resources in honing the skills and talents necessary to get there. You’ll waste less time worrying about getting started or focusing on things that are ultimately not serving your objectives.
- It stops adversity from getting you down. No one is immune to challenges. Even the most empowered people will face challenges from time to time! But here’s the thing: When you practice self empowerment, you trust yourself to face problems head-on, find alternate solutions, and keep on moving.
- It will help you reach your goals. Self empowered people rarely lose sight of their goals, and they take the steps necessary to achieve them, rather than waiting around for those goals to happen to them. And there’s nothing more gratifying than checking goals off your list.
- It will give you confidence. When you approach the world with clear direction and the drive to achieve what you set out to do, you can’t help but walk with more confidence. You know where you’re going… and nothing’s going to get in your way.
- It will allow you to empower others. If you start walking with the confidence that comes with self empowerment, your friends and loved ones are bound to notice—and want to know what’s given you that extra boost. Your sense of self empowerment will inspire others to take charge of their own destinies. You can spread a lot of strength that way!
You have so much to gain from adopting a mindset of self empowerment, as well as the specific practices that go with it.
Practice Personal Development
Reach Your Goals: 7 Personal Development Exercises to Build a Life You Love
How to Empower Yourself
Now that you understand the power self empowerment has to improve your life, you’re probably wondering about practical ways to empower yourself. There are a variety of routines and habits you can adopt to ensure that you’re regularly taking control of your destiny.
Select a few positive affirmations that will keep you feeling motivated and positive on a daily basis. Here are a few examples:
- I am confident.
- I have the power to achieve my goals.
- I can handle every obstacle that stands in my way.
- I am strong enough to reach my best potential.
- I am an unstoppable force.
- I have everything I need within me.
Post your affirmations of choice in places where you’ll see them regularly. Repeating these words over and over will help you to fully absorb them so you can achieve the future of your dreams. It’s also a great meditative or spiritual practice.
Write Down Your Goals
It’s going to be a challenge to empower yourself to accomplish your goals if you’re not entirely sure what those goals are. Spend some time writing down the specific things you’d like to achieve, along with any details that make them more real, like the dates by which you’d like to achieve them. Posting those goals in plain sight will keep you focused in the long run, but the simple practice of making the list is a great way to kick off your self empowerment practice as well.
There are many reasons to keep a journal, and self empowerment is one of them. Spending time on a regular basis reflecting on the progress you’re making toward your goals and on what you still need to do to make them a reality will help you stay motivated and focused. Plus, with a written record of your journey, you’ll be able to reflect on how far you’ve come later on.
Recruit an Accountability Partner
If you’re trying to chase down specific goals, it never hurts to have other people to keep you on track. Sure, we’re talking about self empowerment here, but that doesn’t mean you need to get there all on your own. Choose a trusted friend, family member, or colleague who is willing to check in with you routinely about the strides you’re making. This person should be prepared to offer a kind reminder when you’re losing sight of your final destination so you can get back in the driver’s seat.
Anyone can benefit from making self empowerment a regular practice in their lives. Professional success, improved health, new passion projects… anything is possible once you take your destiny into your own hands and approach your goals with confidence.
Reach a New Spiritual Level
30 Days to Spiritual Badassery