135

3

#openHSV Tshirt Final

Four friends and I created a colloborative website that connects local freelancers, moonlighters, and consultants for free. I helped collaborate on the logo and we're creating tshirts for our networking event/launch party!

Materials:

Process:

I positioned my artboard the way I wanted to cut the vinyl, lined up my art, REVERSED IT (super important) and used the silhouette Connect app to send my artwork to the machine. If you don't have access to a vinyl cutter, there are great local shops that might be able to help you, or you can check out Lumi for custom vinyl starting at $7. Be sure to make sure that your design is the negative space if you are having it cut for you.

1079663a

I weeded the letters out (normally for a decal you weed the negative space) and used a bit of transfer tape to hold the little bits in the "e" and "o" to the design - no guesswork here, I wanted it to be exact! I marked on my screen where to line it up on the BACK of the screen (also super important) with some chalk. I applied the vinyl sticky side down to the back of the screen, smoothing carefully as I went. I used a special little scraper that came with my Silhouette vinyl kit, but you can do this with an old gift or credit card. Nothing too sharp or you'll ruin your screen and vinyl with holes. I also lined the sides/corners with the trim from the vinyl, half of the strip on the screen and half on the frame to keep ink out.

5d609e3d

Flipping the screen over, I ran the scraper over the front to insure a good bond. Then you set up the screen on some test paper and prime it. I overflooded my screen, so I had a little leak out on the first shirt under the "p", but I was able to fix it after it dried with a hook tool and a wet towel. I chose to pull my design sideways so I had a bigger area to print. I used a popsicle stick to plog some ink down and flooded, then pulled the ink. After finishing the six shirts, I scraped the screen and squeege of ink and peeled my top and bottom vinyl in the sink. I washed the screen out with my kitchen sprayer immediately so ink would not clog it, it was a little stained but not clogged.

9fb7beab

I folded the shirts without letting the paint touch anything and put them inside dresser drawers Friday night. I wanted to let them sit for at least 24 hours because the water evaporates from the ink and creates a better heat bond. I heat pressed them on Sunday (about 40ish hours of drying) after I cleaned up the one shirt with the leak, using a cloth napkin and a household iron. Then I threw them in the dryer on high for 25 minutes by themselves, with a little water on one of the shirts hems to help get any creases out. 

c31096f8

Then we wore them!

Here's some finished product photos: I'll post process photos tonight.

9a4de3a1

30fc1971

Comments

Please sign in or sign up to comment.