Would You Kindly? (Color & Texture)

I just finished the "The First Steps of Hand-Lettering: Concept to Sketch (Lettering I)" class by Mary Kate McDevitt and now I'm eager to digitize it! Here I will post pictures of my major steps and I hope for your comments and feedback.

Getting Started

In short: I'm doing a poster dedicated to video game series Bioshock. Since I already worked out my concept, sketching and inking at the previous class you can follow my process right here.

However, here's my final inking that's going to be digitized now:


August 23rd, 2014 – Scanning and digitizing

I was pretty confident that my  inked drawing would be enough to digitize, but as I tried to digitize it I noticed that I should have done certain elements on a different sheet of paper. I started over again and took care that my lines would be more steady and solid and didn't fill in the words, since this would happen while digitizing.

This is how my vector like and what different layers/ papers I used to seperate overlaping elements. Since I use Illustrator CS6 is was a little hard to find the settings that would fit my illustration best, but I think I got a result I can work with.


August 23rd, 2014 – Color scheme

Refering back to my mood board I chose a set of colors that I'm going to use in my illustration.


I played with the colors and ended up with two versions: a green and a blue one. I like both of them a lot and even though the green one might fit the concept best, I will probably go with the blue one:

I need to refine my colors next, but I feel that I'm close to something cool :)


September 21th, 2014 – Final color scheme and texture

I reconsidered the color scheme for my illustration, since I wasn't sure if to go with a more blue or green one. I chose a combination of both and I'm quite happy with it. I also fixed the middle part (YOU), as Hannah suggested in the comments some time ago. I scaled down the daddy's head (O) a bit and tried various other things: To create a connection between the letters YOU I wanted to have a red element in the head as well. I tried to color various elements red and even tried to create a border, but everything looked amiss. Finally I added some red screws to the head and I think it makes things much better.

Then I started to create some textures using a stamp pad, ink in general and watercolors (most suitable for my topic). Here are a few I used for my illustration:

I copied the single elements from my illustration out of Illustrator into Photoshop and applied my fixed textures. I think I'm on a good way and will start finalizing the textures and the whole thing.
This is how it looks so far:

I really like the dirty look and I think quite funny that the illustration without texture looks how the city Rapture used to be and with textures applied it looks the way when the game actually happens.

Since I'm about to finalize my project I would like to ask you for some final advice and comments. Nevertheless, thanks for watching me so far :)


October 1st, 2014 – Done!

Since my last updated I worked on the textures and fixed my dimension issue (I worked on Din A4 instead of A3). I even added one more element, but because I felt like the layout was too crowded it didn't make it into the final version.

So here is my final artwork. For a larger view with better quality check back to my website.

Thanks a lot for watching. See you ;)


Please sign in or sign up to comment.