Watercolour effect flower design by Michelle Grace
I am very excited to take this class as I have previously taken Bonnie's other 3 classes and they provided the foundations of my knowledge of Illustrator.
I have always loved to paint though it has been a struggle for me to convert my drawings into patterns as I much prefer .ai to PS. I have used image trace before though have never thought of recolouring my artwork in the way Bonnie explains. It makes so much sense and I am feeling a new confidence about working in the way. Also, I love the blend method of creating lovely colour ranges! I had to have a good 'play around' with these and here are my initial results;
I am definitely going to upload a new project using watercolour paintings but I wanted to begin with an experiment. I have been working on some sketches trying to develop a really free way of painting leaves, stems and flower motifs which I did using metallic pens. I love to sketch with lots of different pens from fine-liners to brush pens and like to see the various effects they can give. The metallic pens have nice tones which I created by varying the pressure, similar to watercolour effects. Here are my sketches;
Excuse the little lady at the bottom right, I'm not sure where she came from!!
Here are my recoloured motifs;
I think they have more of a gouache painting effect but this is the way I generally work with watercolours as I like to build up layers and work in a slightly heavier way. Looking forward to creating my pattern now!
I'm so pleased with my finished pattern that I think this method will revolutionise how I work in the future! I can't wait to experiment further and enjoy some painting. I hope to do 2 more colour ways of this pattern and make it into a collection too!
After having a look at my pattern with fresh eyes I realised I would like to fill in the gaps and create more flow and movement through it. Here is the updated version;
I have played around with recolouring my pattern though I found this quite hard as I think I should of taken more care when I grouped my motifs. I came to a point where, for example, a leaf with all the different tones was ungrouped which was close to a group of berries which proved very hard to separate. I did recolour the pattern below though it has some remnants of the 1st colour way which can be seen when I zoom in. This has resulted in too many colours. I'm going to start the 2nd colour way again though will have to go back and redo my original pattern!
I've played around with the colours a little bit more and I'm now happy with this paler colour.