The book lays flat when open. I used watercolor paper (9x12) folded in half for the signatures, which there are 6 with 3 sheets per signature. I used black embroidery thread that I covered with beeswax, much like she showed us in the class. I only had pellets so I had to melt them and pour them into a silicone mold to create a small chunk that I could fit in my hand for this purpose.
I think I pulled the thread too tight when putting on the cover for the first couple set of stitches, so the book stays open a bit.
The last step of the stitches kind of confused me when taking the thread all the way back to the first signature. I don't think I did that part right, but I am still happy with how it turned out. I will be practicing more and making many more notebooks thanks to this class.
For the front and back covers I used cardboard that I covered with a brown paper grocery bag. I added a layer of mod podge to adhere and give it a shine. I also used some of my hand carved stamps and watercolor to decorate them.
Thank you so much Chris Carter for sharing your skills and artistry. I can't wait to see what other materials I can use.