I began with some simple loose watercolor florals, but unfortunately I got rid of the original paintings after scanning (on their own, they weren't my most inspired pieces of artwork but they were perfect for this project). However, the picture below represents what they looked like after vectorization (before recoloring). I realized I had made a mistake by combining two colors in one piece! But I made one of them work.
I picked color palettes based on the original colors of the artwork (though the swatches are slightly out of order in the image below due to the recoloring process)
I loved how the pattern came out! During recoloring of the pattern, I wasn't able to recolor every element due to some grouping/ungrouping issues (that must have occurred earlier in my work while I was feeling my way through illustrator. But I'm still pretty happy with the way it turned out! I just ordered some items from society 6 with the pattern on it and am really happy with it.
Thanks for the great class! This was my first experience with surface pattern design and I can't wait to learn more!