Watercolor Awesomeness! | Skillshare Projects



Watercolor Awesomeness!

I love these classes so much! I decided to do a negative space crystal cluster as I love doing intricate line work. I worked around the outside of the cluster first, let that dry, and then started in on the detail work. I used a mixture of red, fuchsia and purple. I played around with a variety of techniques for the crystals themselves.


I am happy with the result. The lines weren't as clean as I hoped for, but that will improve with practice.

Up next was the masking fluid project. I decided to do hot air balloons in space (I just saw someone else did some hot air balloons too, I thought I had an orginal idea!). Let's just say working with masking fluid is a learning experience. (I should have taped my paper down as it dried a little wonky)


 I carefully outlined all of the details I wanted to be in white with the masking fluid (after I drew them in pencil of course). This was a slow process as cleaning off the brush was a tedious task. I also masked what would end up being the moon as I wanted to be free with my paints for the galaxy part. Once the masking was done, I started painting the colors on the hot air balloons. Once that was dry, I painted the galaxy. This whole process took many days as I didn't have time to do it all at once. Because of that, I couldn't erase my lines that were under the masking fluid very well. Lesson learned! Lastly (and my favorite part) I painted the moon. I used a google image as reference and went to town. I added multiple layers of grey, started with light and working my way up to the darkest. Once I was happy with that, I added white details with ink. I was really happy with the moon. To be honest, I wasn't really happy with the hot air balloons as I would much rater just paint with ink than use masking fluid. I can see why people would find it useful, but in future I would use it to block a boarder or for big shapes (like the moon). I also tried my hardest not to ruin my brush, but in the end it ended up looking a little wonky. 


For the "white ink over watercolor" I decided to use black ink. I love white ink for galaxies and stuff, but when it comes to designs I prefer to work with black ink. I love aliens and I have had this idea in my head for a long time. I thought this would be the perfect time to take advantage of the assignment and get this alien mandala idea out of my brain. This project made me so freakin' happy. I used a mixture of india ink and micron pens (for the dots). I know that isn't true to the assignment, but this is true to my style and I am in love with the result. 


Next I attempted the clouds project. This was the most challenging by far. After I sketched out my clouds I started by painting the sky. I used a brand of watercolor called "peerless watercolors". Google them, they are really neat. Once my sky was done I started to paint my clouds. I did what Ana did and painted them in sections so that each section had time to dry. After my first layer of paint was down, it was time to make clouds! It took me awhile to get the hang of how much ink/water ratio to use. I practiced a few times before I put ink on my project. The paint was so intense and pretty that I didn't want to risk ruining it. I'm glad I did that as I mentioned it took me a bit to get the hang of it! In hindsight I probably would use less ink, but for my first project I really like how it turned out. I've already started on my final project and I'm really excited about it!


Thanks for taking the time to look at my project!



Please sign in or sign up to comment.