For this project I decided to work with a small sketch I drew during my first trip to Manhattan. There was a Viking exhibit which inspired a whole set of images that I haven’t worked with yet.
For this first version I multiplied the offset layers to create a screenprint effect:
In the second version I used a guoache brush:
And here is my pastel version. I used the stucco brush. I learned that I don’t have a good buttery pastel or charcoal brush in Procreate that maintains a lot of texture. I really like Bardot’s Celestial Pastel but it seems to have a delay at the beginning of every stroke which I don’t like.
And this one was very time intensive but here is the colored pencil style:
And here is the watercolor and ink version. I normally work in watercolor and sepia ink. I find it hard to replicate my natural style digitally.:
I think this pattern one is my favorite so far - I really enjoyed the research finding Viking patterns and art to draw from:
I decided to do one more version and push way outside my comfort zone. I think I really love it, though there are things happening in the layers that I will have to investigate further in order to repeat this style.