Sorry, your browser is not supported
To have the best experience using Skillshare, we recommend that you use one of these supported browsers.

Marion Lauro

Aspiring artist



Travel journal "Terre Promise"

Hello Samantha and fellow binders!

I'm a book lover. I mean, I love reading, but I love books, too. The weight in my hand, the feel of paper under my fingers, the smell of ink and glue. New books, old books.

I love them.

I love notebooks/sketchbooks/journals, too. I have dozens, mostly unused, from all around the world. So, when I found this class about combining those two loves, I knew I had to try it.

Only, I ended up taking the concept and running away with it. Because, see, I used a different binding method. Sorry, Teacher!

(Oh, and I forgot to take photos along the way. Sorry! Again.)

01 | I was going on a trip to the UK and had in mind to do a bit of urban sketching/travel journaling. Thus, I kept my eyes opened for a title vaguely reminding me of travel.

I found one called "Terre Promise" ("Promised land" in French).

It's a book with a story, see, because it came from my great-grandmother. She was a woman who loved opera and books. She had quite a few books rebound, from soft covers to beautiful hard ones. These are not the kind of book I enjoy reading but, since my grandmum wanted to get rid of them, I thought I could give them a new life.

I took a few one with promising titles. I'm not sure I'll use them, though. I almost wept as I carefully cut the cover off. It felt like such a crime.

02 | Since I wanted to use my journel to sketch and paint, I chose a paper I'm familiar with and like (mixed media, white and heavy but smooth). As an inside cover, to bind the pages to the cover, I used a thick light brown kraft paper, which I thought went well with the dark green of the cover.

The cover was in perfect shape. I didn't have to reinforce it.

I cut the pages down to the size I wanted (had to buy larger sheets than I'm used to to fold with the grain), folded them and paired them up. I sewed all the pages together, then glued them together in a slightly rouned shape, using an old cast iron paper press.

I then glued my inside covers (on 1cm) on either sides of the pages, still using my paper press. Then I glued the whole to a smaller piece of solid paper, then to the covers.

That way, I didn't have to make holes on the spine, which I might not have been able to do anyway (it's sturdy and ridged). 

03 | And here is the result. The spine is a bit worn because it's been travelling two weeks in a small bag. It's still blank, though! I ended up not having the time to use it during my trip. I'll keep it for my next one.





Thank you for the class, Samantha, even though I went a bit (or a lot) off course. ;)


Please sign in or sign up to comment.