Ploog'n is a unique new device that frees us up from the tyranny of wall outlets. Outlets are typically too few in a room and too hard to get to. When we need to plug in our electronic devices we bend down, crawl around, stretch awkwardly and move furniture. Thats why we use extension cords and power strips but they are lousy and ugly looking solutions.
My wife Elizabeth hated seeing extension cords beside the sofa. She also patiently suffered computer cables strewn across the living room where we like to work. Because I love her, I did something about it. I got an idea, went to the thrift store and purchased a little old candy tin and a used desk lamp. I took them home, removed the light globe and attached the candy tin to the lamp's flexy neck. I then added some outlets, wired them up and OMG it was beautiful and it worked! It was such a pleasure to be able to sit in my chair and just plug in my lap top without getting up. It was a red tin too and it matched my chair perfectly. Elizabeth loved it, so we made a few more. Then we mad a bunch for our firends and they loved them so we knew we had something.
We named the device Ploog'n. Ploog'n is the world's first sexy extension cord that stands up, so you don't have to bend down to plug something in. It stands up and you plug right into it. It is soooo easy! Plus, Ploog'n hides plug wires, stores computers and controls wasteful power use with the push of a button.
Engaging Contributors Offline: Definitley! We use our Ploog'n(s) (early prototypes) beside our couch, comfy chairs, bed and the desk. Ploog'n has something for everyone from teens, to college students in power starved dorm rooms, women 2.0 at home and office, men at home & office, boomers with achy backs and seniors who want to age at home. Plus, Ploog'n will work in coffee shops, corporate reception areas, trade shows, and much more. Pretty much where we would all appreciate access to a quick & easy electrical outlet when we need one.
My vision includes a thousand open sourced Ploog'n designs brought to life 'Etsy style' by makers from the Ploog'n user community all showcased and available on the Ploog'n site.
I'll need Kickstarters help with either injection moulds or initial order quantities.
Reward Levels: My new design goal is to produce Ploog'n at a very low cost (still quality) so that I can offer the following:
1. A single "basic" Ploog'n at the $25 -$35 funding level. Basic includes 3 surge protected outlets.
2. A single deluxe Ploog'n at the $50-75 funding level. Deluxe includes 3 surge protected outlets and a 2.1 amp output USB port for charging Apple & Android tablets, laptops and smart phones.
3. 3-5 Bundled Ploog'ns at a higher funding level TBD.
Stephanie, this definitely will be a campaign where I request a review of rules to allow for quantities because my beta test research tells me that people will be interested in 2-4 Ploog'n(s) per home. (living room, bedroom, office, as gifts too) I'd love to offer 3-5 Ploog'n bundles at higher funding levels. It is really a natural legit reason to bundle them.
Creating a compelling video: I made a video for Fast Company Magazine design contest entry. It was ok for a 1st attempt. I'm still working on site's and my Kickstarter Videos.
The below copy is from my temporary website. Remember the design you see below proved too expensive to make so I am in re-design mode now. The new prototypes will be ready in 60 days and they are radically different and so excitingly cool. I will be able to show it properly at that time.
So, I am totally open for any advice and wisdom you can share with me.
I'm only playing with themes, ideas and writing to elicit feedback until I ready to launch the official commercial site.
Read on and comment if you'd be so kind.
Ploog’n Power Stands
1. Convenience! Most walls plugs and extension cords are blocked by furniture. Ploog'n is a different extension cord. Ploog'n is a stand and it's outlets are high up off the floor within easy reach. In this simple way Ploog'n is revolutionary. You place Ploog'n beside your couch, chair, desk, or bed. This perfect outlet height makes plugging in/out fast, easy, luxurious. Ploog'n is stylish so it can remain in plain view. No more bending down, crawling around or stretching awkwardly for an outlet. An outlet obscured by furniture is an outlet that needs Ploog'n.
2. Organization! Ploog’n eliminates computer clutter. It reduces the visibility of computers and cable wires in a room. It stores and hides unused computers and tablets from view but still keeps them handy off to the side. You’ll love, love, love how Ploog’n keeps your rooms looking clutter free.
Ploog’n is beautiful and stylish enough to be kept in plain view where it is easy to reach. You might tuck it between your chair and side table or your bed and side table. There, it is practically invisible yet still super convenient.
3. Eco-Friendly! Ploog’n makes it easy to stop wasteful standby ‘phantom’ power, saving you money and eliminating a terrible source of carbon emissions.
Steve Chayer, Ploog’n's inventor, holding a typical ‘brick’ power supply used for charging electronic devices.
‘Brick’ chargers consume power even when the computer is turned off. There are billions of these brick chargers in use around the world humming away and wasting power 24/7. Is yours one of them?
We leave our computers plugged in because its a hassle to unplug them and we fill the atmosphere with carbon emissions from the power plants producing the energy we waste.
Here’s how Ploog’n solves this problem…easy to reach switches on Ploog’n that control what is plugged into it’s outlets! You simply turn off the switch beside you.
Receptacle switches control what is plugged into Ploog’n and they are within easy reach.
Ploog’n can be customized to suit your decor. Here are just a few of the hundreds of colors that will be available.
Crawling around in search of an electrical outlet is terribly inconvenient for anyone at any age. Ploog’n is a simple, elegant solution to using ugly extension cords and power strips.
That my introduction. Now its your turn.
Please help me with your impressions and advice?
Steve Chayer, Inventor