Sanctuary

Sanctuary  - student project

I picked the word "sanctuary" to letter, because I thought it would be a fun one to do since there is so much bounce potential. I initially picked "sanctuaries" but it was a bit too much for me. I am still not sure if "sanctuary" lends itself to this technique well, but that may be because I've been staring at it too long and it doesn't look like a real word anymore. 

I started with a black Prismacolor Marker 05. I had a tough time figuring out the bounce of the word at first and I played with a few different ways to do it. I used a guide underneath tracing paper to help me out, and sometimes drew the bounce x height as well. 

Sanctuary  - image 1 - student project

After a bit I moved to the 08 Prismacolor Marker and tried a few other pens to see the effect they had (Tombow Fudenosuke Hard and Tombow dual brush pen). I kept going back and forth between a loopy 'r' and one without a loop. I think they both work, but I'm less consistent with the loopy 'r', so that was a bit challenging. In then end, I went without the loop. 

Sanctuary  - image 2 - student project


As it turns out the tool I most liked for this project was a Crayola marker. I tried out a few options, but in the end went with a seafoam color for my final word. 

I like how it came out, though I need to work on spacing. The 'c' and the 't' are a little bit close together for my liking, it makes it look like a 'd'. Also my first 'a' always wanted to go higher than everything else. I need to practice that. Still not sure if I made it bounce well, it kind of fizzles out at the end hah, but I'm going to try with more words and see how it works.

I really enjoyed the challenge of this class, thank you!