Updated Feb, 26th 2013
As a screenprinter who has worked and traveled throughout the world I often have found it difficult to locate printshops to stop into to say 'hello' and to see what kind of work they're creating in that studio, city, country.
There are a number of online poster/printer sites where I've often thrown out the question, 'What studios should I see in this town?' but I've always thought it'd be great to have a map, or better yet an app to help a printer locate studios and to know: their contact info, whether their studio is open or closed (as in do they allow visitors), and what galleries or shops specialize in screenprinted works.
I'm from Chicago and am most familiar with the printer scene there so I will start there & see where it goes.
• Why am I making this map? For fun? A client? A gift? To showcase my favorite places? Etc.
I'm making this first for myself, as I'm always traveling and looking for either screenprint studios to print at or to check out. Secondly for the print community.
• Why am I the expert to create this map?
I'm knowledgeable out of years of screenprinting and being part of the screenprint community. Traveling and having lived in a number of places & having to find resources has also given me some insight.
• Who is my target audience?
Screenprinters, more specifically poster artists.
• Do I want my final project to be printed or digital? How is going to be used/held? What other constraints do I need to keep in mind moving forward? (Note type can be smaller on printed maps than when viewed on web)
Ideally I'd like it to be an app, but since I don't know how to do that, If I can create a digital version that can be accessed via a website--that should work.
• What level of detail do I need to include? (Names, addresses, contact info, street names, website, hours, descriptions, color coding, etc.)
I'd like at the least the website of the studio. If possible I'd like to have a phone number and address & the key/legend that will give a little more info.
• Dear class, I need your help/expertise/guidance on how to.....
If anyone knows any way or software that would allow me to make this an app without having to become a programmer, that'd be excellent!
(4) SHARE Your Favorite Resources
I'll have to come back to this question.
Rough map sketch of my project, flows left to right. Legend ideas bottom left: