Sorry, your browser is not supported
To have the best experience using Skillshare, we recommend that you use one of these supported browsers.

48

8

Reach for the Stars

I'm interrupting my personal projects from the first class to try these techniques out on a work project. I need to complete a cover (and in fact, the entire brochure) for 2014-15 season for a local orchestra. Reach for the Stars is the title. It needs to include a logo and a small amount of other text (some will be set, some drawn) and look "musical". 

I tried some simple things, but they didn't seem right and weren't that well received. I think they're used to a very layered look (here's the current brochure: http://bit.ly/14TLzfD), so I created this sketch:

There are a few changes I know I'll make (I'm going to take the flourishes from the T and S in stars to a 3rd star on top; place musical notes on the staffs) and I'm contemplating others (making the planets look like our solar system -- a tribute to Holst's The Planets). This is a very layered piece, so I already figure I'll have to do at least 5 different tracings. I've got some other stuff I have to work on for the next day or so, so any thoughts you have will be taken into consideration.

--

I'll back up here and include some background. Here is my word list:

And, while not a real mood board, my inspiration and swipe page:

Then I had 20-30 thumbnail sketches, which I photographed with my iPod, but didn't turn out too well. I'm heading back to look at them for new ideas.

--

1/20

Oy, that last sketch was giving me fits. I could not get the word Reach to look right when traced in pen. Maybe my hands are too shaky. Or maybe I was expecting a cleaner look for that font. Or maybe it was my tools. Whichever, I decided to try something different -- simpler. I switched to using tracing paper (lines seem to stay cleaner) and my Sakura Pigma Micron 05. For the design, I thought I'd keep either the frame or the center, and since the lettering was my problem, I kept the frame. I also needed to make the logo box bigger (isn't that always the case?). I still needed to keep a musical element, but am trying a couple of different ones. I'll probably sit on these for a few days before moving on to textures while I finish other projects, so comments and suggestions are welcome.

Current palette:
 I took a couple of grays I hadn't used out, thus the two blank spaces. May still play with this.

A-Random background elements:

B-Swirly staff:

C-Rocket banner

--

2/4 
Thanks for the comments. I did go back and try a more monochromatic look. I like it, but am having problems with getting the textures to look good. Also wondering if I should add back in another brighter color, like gold. I guess I'll go back and rework some more. Here it is at the moment:

OK, after I posted that last one I looked back and the earlier colorful ones that weren't quite as busy, and decided to do some quick edits. Here's the latest:

Comments

Please sign in or sign up to comment.