Sorry, your browser is not supported
To have the best experience using Skillshare, we recommend that you use one of these supported browsers.

Diana Corredin

Brooklyn based Graphic Designer




I've decided to monogram the work Queen from the phrase "Yas Queen"

Initial Sketches:


I played around with the letters both keeping in mind I wanted to use a serif or script. I also wanted to play around and experiment with minuscules. I added check marks to the ones I thought were my strongest, most symmetrical and balanced sketches.

Stylizing and Tweaking




In this phase, I attempted to stylize both script and serif monograms.  I then created options on a separate sheet of tracing paper in gouache and in pencil. Next up, vectorizing and testing! :) 

Back to Square One

After vectorizing the sketch, I realized I wasn't too happy with the decision I had made and instead further explored other type style options. The current sketch was too blocky and it wasn't a good representation of the word. Here is what the initial sketch looks like vectorized: 


I decided on using a more decorative approach.

Here is the final sketch:


I'm very happy with this decision. Now it's time to vectorize!


Below is the first phase of the vector monogram. 


I then tweaked some letters and strokes. I found the variety of thickness of strokes was a bit too distracting so I tweaked it so that they all were uniform for a more balanced composition. Below is the final comp. 


Color and Style

I want to stick to using traditional royal colors, like gold. 


I added a little bit of dimensionality to the monogram to help it pop. Below are examples of some flourishes I painted to lay on the design.



After playing around with the flourishes, I decided the second option was the best one to use. I then duplicated and flipped the flourish and masked some parts out to show more of the monogram. After finalizing on the color choices, I then added a texture of a wrinkled paper and added that on top.


(Drum roll please....)


TA-DA! :) 

I am very happy with the results! It was definitely a challenge to combine both mediums. It was a good exercise to bring in some organic feels to the piece. Thanks so much! Will be doing this more often!!!!


Please sign in or sign up to comment.