Peony & Violet

Peony & Violet - student project

My instagram is moonswirl


This is my very first somewhat successful layered pattern. I made a lot of mistakes and learned quite a bit! I did everything in Procreate on my iPad mini, after trying the post-it method a few times and getting discouraged.

My inspiration was my yard, and combining a large garden flower with a small wild flower motif. I used a lot of photos as reference, some of them my own.

First, I made lots of sketches, refining over & over...

Peony & Violet - image 1 - student project

Then I filled in the center of my square with one motif:

Peony & Violet - image 2 - student project


After dividing the first motif to fill the edges, I added more flowers to fill in:

Peony & Violet - image 3 - student project

Then I created the second repeat layer, filling in spaces...

Peony & Violet - image 4 - student project

And finally, my tiled repeat, which now I see has some awkward clustering and petals hanging over edges. But it was a great learning experience on how to keep my workflow organized (or how NOT to, lol...)

My first export of the repeat had some lines in it but I think they’re gone now.

 

 Peony & Violet - image 5 - student project

 

Here’s a different version where I rearranged the clustered peonies and added some textures...Instead of using fills for the main colors, I added a white fill layer underneath the petals and leaves, and used textured brushes on top.

Peony & Violet - image 6 - student project

The colors and textures need more editing... I went too far, and there’s not enough contrast anymore.

A few tweaks to colors and I think it is looking better...

Peony & Violet - image 7 - student project

Also, here’s an inspiration board for another pattern I’m working on, exploring motif, colors, and texture brushes...

Peony & Violet - image 8 - student project