Sorry, your browser is not supported
To have the best experience using Skillshare, we recommend that you use one of these supported browsers.

Beret N.



Owl Russian Dolls

My idea for this class project was to use owls as inspiration. I sketched out my ideas using a blue eraseable pencil (and was therefore unable to take a successful picture/scan of my sketches) and originally planned to do the dolls upsde down so that the fattest part of them would be the owls' faces.

However, I changed my mind because it wouldn't make sense to have them upside down - not least because in reality they may not balance like that! So I did them the right way round.


The first one I painted I tried hard to create some tonal differences to make it look round. This owl was based on a barn owl. I ended up outlining with orange and pink ink and then added watercolour patterns.


The second one I did had a bit of tonality but I ended up going with the heavily patterned approach again. At this point I was not happy that the owl dolls were not turning out cute and characterful as I had intended, and were instead relying on the patterns to make them appealing.


The third doll I painted I avoided outlining and instead focussed on practising adding diferent layers of colours. I could have worked harder on the base layers to get a rounded tonal effect, but I really enjoyed creating a more delicate look with this one.


The final image, when I put the three together, looked like this. My husband saw it and suggested adding a reflection, as though they are standing on a reflective surface. This was a nice effect!

I still want to achieve a more delicate and cute effect with the dolls, so I may try this project again with the aim of making the illustration more characterful.

Thanks for reading my project!


Please sign in or sign up to comment.