Working for a web agency and freelancing part-time, I quickly realised I couldn't spend all the time in the world on this how I'd like to have.
To be quite honest my sketches are aweful. I basically use sketching as doodling thoughts to get the ball rolling with ideas. So in turn I'm more happy once i have a few in my mind that I want to see digitised.
To get the ball rolling I started on some straight logotypes mixing with scripts and serifs. I used my texture effect I used to use on merch(when I did it). Altering script fonts to get a customised feel is what I tend to feel comfortable with in short deadlines.
After messing with that I then started working in lockups into the mix and started getting a nicer feel with how I was going with it.
I felt it there were too many alternate fonts for a logo that wanted some longevity. I also felt the script wasn't strong enough and opted for a nicer looking LHF typeface. The shield evolved with shape also.
After discussion with some friends and family I revised my ideas and dropped the shied and went for and intricate border and also revised the type. The intricate border could also double as a paperbag seale etc.