This is just the simplified silk screening method I've been looking for. I was so intrigued I impulsively jumped on it using the supplies I had on hand.
For my first experiment, I made a little moose stencil from some leftover bristol board.
I used fabric paint instead of silkscreen ink because I had some on hand, and a rubber rib tool (for ceramics) as a squeegee.
I'm very happy with the results! Can't wait to extend this method and work bigger (or with more layers) next time.
I showed some of my friends this technique, and their results were just as stunning. Here's my friend Çağri adding the finishing touches to his Galatasaray t-shirt (a favorite football team here in Turkey.)
Even though Çağri had virtually no previous art experience, he was able to make a two-part stencil, starting with a Galatasaray logo he printed out.
As you can see, Çağri is pretty stoked with his results!