Monotype experiments

Monotype experiments - student project

Monotype experiments - image 1 - student project

First try with a scrap piece of watercolour paper.

Mostly the watercolour paper didn't work so well but in this case I liked how the straggly lines are broken and fade into the background. To me they really look like seaweed, so if I did it again I would maybe first do a green/blue wash to give it more of an underwater feel.

 

Monotype experiments - image 2 - student project

Another test with watercolour paper.

This time I added splashes of excess water around the coloured area. I really like some of the dryer textures that came out on this one.

 

Monotype experiments - image 3 - student project

Next I tried another kind of paper from my scrap box.

I have no idea what it is but it felt very smooth and silky - I can imagine that it's something similar to the stone paper that Anna uses. The results are very clean, crisp edges and the fractals show up beautifully.

 

Monotype experiments - image 4 - student project

Another test with the same paper as above.

Perhaps I had more water on my brush this time since the paint came out very uniform. I lifted the paper away from the bottom left corner and the top right corner, which collected the paint into the middle of the page... which was quite cool as it now looks like the spine of a flying dragon somehow.

 

Monotype experiments - image 5 - student project

Another test with yellow watercolour paper.

I really like this one as it seems to have a good balance of watery and heavy paint. After lifting the paper away in stages (to get those gradient marks), there was a lot of paint that had collected at the bottom, so I blew it back up into the forms.

These were just the first experiments to try out the effects of different papers. I can't wait to go on! This process is so addictive. Thank you Anna for introducing us to such a beautiful and satisfying method of making (: