Modern Cars - They all look like electric shavers (Updated)

So far I have watched parts 1 - 5 of this class. I have also learned my Illustrator skills have got pretty rusty too, as I've not used it in a long time!

I have chosen to digitize the phrase I created for Mary Kates first class. I scanned my outline (and learnt the hard way as I did not draw lines to seperate letters with holes in them so I have lost a couple of parts of my letters but I will try and fix this as I go on. 

This was my lettering when first scanned in. 


This is my digitizing so far after deleteing sections out and adding a bit of temporary color. 



Even though this looks pretty rubbish at the mo I'm definitely learning things that I can apply to future attempts of digitisation! 

I've now completed some colour compositions, I took inspiration from the reference I collected and tried to choose 1950's car colours and gas station colours. 


I liked the red, pink, orange and blue colours the most. So I applied these colour schemes to my colour comps.


I liked the colour scheme on the bottom left the most so chose to take that one forward.

I then started to explore textures. I experimented with a brush pen, with ink and a brush, a charcoal pencil and a stick of charcoal. When I used in and I brush I experimented using the ink quite thickly and also with water to try and create a gradient like Mary Kate did. 

Here are acouple of images of some of my textures.




I was pretty pleased with how the gradient on cars looked on the last image above, and I also liked the charcoal effect on the moustach, as it looks soft but textured at the same time. 

I copied my illustration into photoshop layer by layer and then started to apply textures that I had created. I really enjoyed this stage as each time I clicked create clipping mask my textures started to come to life. 


I think using charcoal for the moustache texture was a good choice as it's quite subtle, I also liked the way the gradient looked on cars as I wanted it to have that two tone effect that alot of vintage cars had. Shavers has a texture on it too but sadly because the lettering is so dark it doesn't really show. 

I then moved onto adding final detail, and adding tweaks using things like photoshop brushes. I wanted the gradient on cars to blend a bit more smoothly, so I corrected that using a brush, and electric was looking a bit flat due to not having any texture so I used a photoshop brush to add a little texture to it. 


Using photoshop tweaks I was able to give a bit more texture, and I was also able to bring back more visable texture in the word shavers. I also managed to make the background look more vintage, warmer and textured. As I wanted it to look like a poster that had been up in an old garage for a long time with dirty fingerprints on it. 

At this point I still wasn't quite happy with the colour of They All Look Like, it felt like it was getting lost with the warmer background. So I decided to change it to grey so it would show up a bit better and still match in with the car colour theme I was using. 


Considering this was my first attempt at using the highlighted skills and techniques in the videos I think it turned out ok. It could be a lot better but it could have been a lot worse too haha! I've learnt so much especially about the process of lettering and digitising, and I'm looking forward to putting my new knowledge into practice in the future! 


Please sign in or sign up to comment.