These were out of my comfort zone requiring a lot more paint than I would normally have used, but these were fun to do. For the blue-green one I used a brush I only ever used for applying glue. For the brown-grey one I used a flat stick because I had no palette knives. They were nice experiments that can really stand-alone.
This was a fun, cute project which my 2yr-old niece enjoyed watching me paint, as she was wearing a donut shirt that same day. My icing layer was not as thick as I would have liked because I did not mix enough of the pink, but I still liked how it turned out.
*Projects I initially wanted to paint on wood but was out, so I mounted some craft cork board on foam sheets and primed with a gel medium.
I chose a breadfruit leaf for this project, inspired by the breadfruit trees outside my window. These leaves are large and have so much personality. I kind of went crazy with the white details...lol
For this one I chose to shift the axis of my herringbone pattern, making it slightly perpendicular to the page for a different feel.
Below is a detail of the herringbone pattern. I painted smooth blocks of colour so as to retain the texture of the cover stock that I chose to use.
Gold (Brass) Veining
I made a new background for this piece as the originals were in my sketchbook and I didn't want to remove any of them, plus the tape was ripping the paper too much. For this one I also chose the textured cover stock. I really enjoyed how this piece turned out. I used my stick here to build up the brass metallic paint layer, and because it was very translucent, it made for a very interesting effect with the background showing through in some areas. One of my favourites!
Below is a detailed image.
I was not sure at first how the translucent metallic brass paint would show up on the similarly coloured cork board, but 2 layers proved sufficient. I was concerned too, when the tape did not want to stick to the metallic paint when preparing to add colour, but with patience and determination, it turned out quite clean and crisp.
Below is a detailed image. I love to see the texture of the cork showing through the layers.
This was definitely the most anticipated project for me. I was really eager to do this one. I had previously done a few galaxies and they were always fun projects. Although I know triangles are on trend I chose a diamond instead. I liked how it worked with my square board. My background was a gradient of ultramarine blue and silver metallic paint for a shimmery glow in my sky, which unfortunately was not fully captured in this image below (in reality this piece is actually an overall shade darker). Pine trees are not indigenous to my Barbados landscape so I used our more wide spread coconut trees to silhouette in the foreground.
Thanks, Cat Coquillette! These projects were fun, and a great creative workout!
All the best,