First wash! I learned a lot at this stage. You can see some blooms on the right ear. That happened when I started painting the head and the wet paper got too close to the still-wet ear. It was a good lesson and made me more cautious during the rest of the painting.
Here's another progress picture. Around this stage, the koala's nose had slowly started to grow. I was pretty unhappy with that and tried to cover it up with white gouache. I eventually used the scraping method to get a cleaner highlight. I was happy to incorporate that method in a lot of areas that got too dark at this stage of the painting.
Here's my final painting! I learned so much while painting this piece and feel really familiar with how wet the paper should be and how much pigment to use. I can't wait to continue practicing and growing my skill. I'll definitely take more classes from you, Louise, you are a fantastic instructor!