The final step of my project - creating a new masthead for my website using my new typefaces. A pretty simple application, but I like the feeling that it's entirely my own work.
Update #2 : 6/13/13
And here's my other font, Second Cabin. I wanted to preserve the sketchy look of the pencils, so I increased the contrast of the preliminary drawings and livetraced them in Illustrator.
I decided to create my font Scintillante as paths in Illustrator, instead of using the stroke tool, so I could preserve more of the hand drawn look. I tried to retain a lot of the lines that were crooked or 'off' in the hand-drawings, even though my instinct was to make everything perfect!
I imported each character into FontCreator (similar software to FontLab) and created my typeface. I still need to work a bit more on the kerning and create the extra characters (numbers, puncuation, etc), but for now I'm really happy with how the font has turned out.
I tested out the newly installed font in Photoshop:
And now I need to vectorize my second font!
I started on my typeface sketches last night. I want to create a couple of typefaces that I can use as display text or a masthead on my website and blog. For inspiration, I looked at Art Deco era posters. I selected two that I liked the typefaces on, and used them as a starting point.
I redid the shape doodles, this time without any timer. It was a lot more fun and felt more creative, I just doodled freely without thinking and drew a lot of patterns and textures.