A collection of images I created for this masterclass. Open for feedback!
Project: YouTube Thumbnail
I created this thumbnail for a language-learning YouTube channel. I used the Gradient Map adjustment layer as a clipping mask to blend the London Bridge and Big Ben with the background. The subject (YouTuber) was cut out with the Select Subject option, then I adjusted the selection with the pen tool (Select Subject had some issues with the area between her thumbs and the hands). The UK Flag (from Freepik) is on a clipping mask layer. The font is Lemon Milk.
Project: Romance book cover - original concept
I opted to create a cover with a slightly different mood, more gothic and dark. I am not overly satisfied with the result, as the text could be more readable and I feel the colour vibrancy isn't satisfying, but I believe that is due to the CMYK mode that I need to practice in much more.
Here are the stock images I used for the composite (all from Unsplash):
Project: Romance book cover - Lindsay's concept
I decided to follow Lindsay's tutorial step-by-step, too. I did it with less photo editing and it's a bit messy in regards to the export format, but I think I still managed to make it eye-catching.
Project: Burger & Soda
Extremely happy with how this turned out considering the lack of my previous knowledge in Illustrator. Nothing is traced, although I did use the colour picker tool for the colours and the background gradient.
Project: Logo design, Malluable
First step: experimentation and exploration
Outlined in green are logos that I felt had potential. I liked Lindsay's triangle idea and concept, but I decided to go a different way about it: incorporating a more easily readable M or U (or both) into the geometric design. I decided to choose these two pairs of logos because they have both a curved side and an angled, straight side, fitting into the concept of malleable.
Second step: refinement and typography
After getting a bit of feedback from a couple of friends, I decided to make the lines of the logo finer/thinner, and went with an all-caps serif font (Cambria) with variable size (M and E are 2pts taller).
Mini-project: Colour palette
I asked a friend for an idea for the "theme"/purpose of the palette I will be creating. She suggested organic makeup/cosmetics. I came up with a (slightly modified) split complementary palette that doesn't look awfully cohesive when displayed as stripes of colour, but I had a certain purpose in mind for each of the colours, so I made a mockup of a promo graphic.
Mini-project: Live Life to the Max
My spin on Lindsay's simple insta graphic. Used an image from Freepik and fonts Montserrat Bold and OneBillion.
Mini-project: Photo editing basics
I edited a photo from Unsplash for this exercise. The original was beautiful, youthful, and pastel, so I wanted to see if I could push it to be more dramatic and movie poster-styled. I used the following adjustments: Brightness/Contrast, Exposure, Vibrance, Colour Balance, Photo Filter, Selective Colour, Shadows/Highlights, Replace Colour, and finally High Pass on a duplicated layer set to Overlay for sharpening.
Mini-project: Duotone and gradients
I chose this image (from Unsplash) and decided to make all the gradients blue since the overall mood of the image is like that. Instead of using the gradient fill tool, I used the Gradient Layer option since that allowed me greater control over the positioning of the gradient over the image.
Mini-project: Photo parts colour change
Decided to go with these two images from Freepik because it was easy to isolate the hair and shirt with Select Subject (+ mask adjustments) and Pen tool (good practice), respectively.
Mini-project: Face editing, non-destructive
Went with the previously edited image and added subtle dodge + burn work and liquified a bit to narrow her jaw and plump her lips up a little.