As I mentioned in the CV project of your other class, I am in the process of applying to graduate school and the second half of that application is a portfolio. This class was extremely helpful for putting it together, particularly when it came to layouts and I loved the additional resources of grid theory. Thank you once more for all your hard work!
I uploaded a high quality PDF version of the latest draft here and the process of putting it together plus some screen shots are below:
Purpose, Size, and Fonts Decisions
I will be using this portfolio to apply to four different masters programs. One of them specifically asked for standard A4 letter size, so I decided to go with that size, since it also seems to work well for screen viewing. For fonts I chose Oswald for my sans serif and paired it with Fanwood for the general text sections. I already used these fonts on my CV so I thought I'd keep it consistent
Since at least three of the schools might be looking at the document on a screen, I went with a minimum of 13 points for the smallest fonts to make the reading easier.
Opted for a very simple cover. Might go back and do something more elaborate, but this one seems to be doing the trick for now. I can see how an issue with it could be that the title is huge in comparison to my name, just like it was on my CV, though title of this document is not as obvious and I ended up liking the typographic contrast between the letters. I'd love some thoughts on this particular section though :-)
Definitely the part that had me struggling the most. After many attempts of my layout looking inconsistent and unprofessional, I went back to the additional exercises and resources. I finally came up with a six column base grid that helped a lot. Added some headers with my name and project title on the master pages and footers with content section titles.
I eventually opted out of using facing pages since a screen view of the portfolio would work better on individual pages.
Made the mistake of skipping the paper planning first and eventually going back to it really helped get a clearer idea of how the layout could take shape.
After many, many iterations, this was the final result: