Here is my experimental way to dive into the brave new world of linocut.
I started with stuff that I already had at home. Luckily I have the Soviet linocut starter kit called "Young Engraver". There was cutters, sharping stones and old-old linoleum. It also has a beautiful retro-prints as an examples of what you can cut:
I wanted to run a really quick experiment, so I spent about 15-20 minutes on sketching and cutting my first patterns. Lino from the kit was reaaally old (from 80's I guess) and it was pretty hard to cut because of small pieces that chipped off all the time. A little persistence and patience and I'm ready to proceed to the next step
Printing. Attempt #1 and #1.5 (failed)
I wanted to achieve fast result so I tried to use stamp pad instead of paint/inks... and failed. I'm not sure why, but my strange lino absorbed all the paint and left no imprint on the paper. Oops!
Ok, experiment failed. Let's give it another try. I had a wide Molotow marker with alcohol based inks. I already used it for printing with a piece of cardboard and it worked fine... but not now. Fail again =)
Printing. Attempt #2 (semi-failed)
Ok, then I found some acrylic paint, brayer (not rubber, but foam) and plastic office file (instead of piece of glass). And it worked. Brayer absorbed the paint, paint dries too fast, but I was finally able to get some prints.
In this photo you can see how quickly the paint fades:
Printing. Attempt #3 (Finally not failed)
I bought new brayer (it's rubber which is good, but it's pretty big for this tiny prints), new paint (College Linoprint by Schminke) and new lino (for next experiments). The prints came out quite good. There is still a lot of things to work on, but I think it will come with practice. Here is the final result: