Finding Flights with Kayak.com
Updated Feb, 15th 2013
- I type www.kayak.com into my browser.
- A domain name server (DNS) translates the URL into an IP address.
- My request goes from DNS to DNS until kayak.com’s server is found in one’s cache.
- The DNS send my browser kayak.com’s IP address.
- My computer connects with kayak.com’s server and retrieves the requested information.
- That information comes to my computer in packets.
- My computer translates the packets.
- Front end information is displayed on my computer based on backend code.
- I enter my trip information into the correct fields.
- I click “Find Flights” and the request is sent to the backend database.
- The flight information is presented in my browser and I can select a flight.