Experimenting with watercolor mixed media to create loose flowers

Experimenting with watercolor mixed media to create loose flowers - student project

Thank you so much for your inspiring class. 

I had the most trouble with the first one, honestly I was just  not really feeling it. I did a couple and here is the one I liked a little bit better. I actually tried out my granulation medium for the first time but I think you can't really see too much of it:

 

Hahnemuehle Cornwall which is pretty thick paper 450 g

Experimenting with watercolor mixed media to create loose flowers - image 1 - student project

 

I had the most fun with the second tutorial. I only had water soluble oil pastels so I used cheap kids crayons instead. It was always fun to put in the background and see what happens. This one is actually my favorite of all the painting I did for this class. I ended up doing three layers with the last one only putting in indigo to darken up some areas. This is on Hot Pressed Arches Paper:

Experimenting with watercolor mixed media to create loose flowers - image 2 - student project

 

Canson XL Paper:

Experimenting with watercolor mixed media to create loose flowers - image 3 - student project

 

Canson XL Paper:

Experimenting with watercolor mixed media to create loose flowers - image 4 - student project

 

Unfortunately I didn't had the right materials for no. 3. I tried to substitute the straw with cardboard but this didn't work at all so I ended up just doing the dandelions head wet into wet with gouache. I will try this against once I get my hands on a straw. As you can see this looks completely different. 

 

Hahnemuehle Cornwall Paper again:

Experimenting with watercolor mixed media to create loose flowers - image 5 - student project

 

Sandra
Watercolor Artist and Illustrator