Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting

Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting - student project

Doodling leaves 

Used a combination of Pentel Aquash Water Brush (I only have the smallest one, unfortunately) and round Silver Brush paint brushes to practice "drawing" with water. 

Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting - image 1 - student project

Wildflower 

I did not use most of the colours suggested in the tutorial as I only have a set of Mont Marte paint from Australia. Would be nice to have the granulating watercolours to create the desired visual effect. Need more practice for splattering paint. Also need to improve water control for the background to avoid some unslightly hard edges. 

Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting - image 2 - student project

 Wild Rose 

Another great exercise to observe and practice water control. 

Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting - image 3 - student project


Bluebells 

This time I loosened up a bit more. There is also some improvements in paint splattering. For lavender, I used a mixture of Dioxazine purple and China White, and Turquoise from Art Spectrum. Sap green for stem. 

Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting - image 4 - student project

Yellow Poppies 

Lemon Yellow and Cadmium Yellow for flower petal, Sap Green for flower centre and stem. Was careful not to overwork and add too much details to the main flower as it would look too rigid. 

Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting - image 5 - student project

Dancing Couples 

I have always wondered how to do those loose backgrounds. The secret is of course water! 
Experimenting with water for loose floral watercolour painting - image 6 - student project