Egg & Still Life Studies in Ultramarine

Egg & Still Life Studies in Ultramarine - student project

I really enjoyed the combination of the loose painting and being able to add further information in Procreate app. I tried not to cover up too much of the watercolour effects (I don't often work in watercolours and at this stage for me it was difficult to know when to stop working into an area). Observing objects very closely for values was a superb exercise and I learned a lot; for example to look closely for reflected highlights, which can make a big difference to how the form is rendered. I also loved the tip about the crosshairs when taking photos, and my images did indeed come out more fully focussed than usual :) I tend to use a scanner to digitise my painted artwork, and I noticed during this project how much of an impact that can have on the colours: the scanned blues have come out with much more cyan than in reality and it has an unnatural look. Next time I work this way I will definitely try photographing the painting as recommended. I really enjoyed the class - thank you!

Here is my gradient study:

Egg & Still Life Studies in Ultramarine - image 1 - student project

Here are my egg studies part A using watercolour:

Egg & Still Life Studies in Ultramarine - image 2 - student project

Here is my egg study part B after scanning (should have photographed instead) and working further in Procreate app:

Egg & Still Life Studies in Ultramarine - image 3 - student projectHere are my still life practice sheets and watercolour painting:

Egg & Still Life Studies in Ultramarine - image 4 - student project

And here is the still life piece after being completed in Procreate:

Egg & Still Life Studies in Ultramarine - image 5 - student project

Thanks for taking a look at my project. And thanks again for a great class Ohn Mar!

Sue Gibbins
Designer at Rocket & Indigo
Teacher