Disruptive Pattern Generation


I've been wanting to learn Processing for a while, but have been intimidated at learning to code. But this class has been awesome at giving me the foundation to start making stuff right away. 

I'm a big fan of Sol Lewitt, and I think of his instructions for his wall murals as inspiration for how I approach these projects. 

I tryied to keep the shapes I use simple, and use the contraints of that to just focus on a limited number of parameters to explore. I found that from just the lessons of this class, I had enough tools to play with and explore. 

I come from an architecture background, so I'm obsessed with creating space in drawings. I think with some of these, I'm trying to figure out how to create depth in an axonemetric way. I also realize that I like to create disruptions and add a little chaos to the idea of the grid. 

For this one, I also wanted to see what would happen if I started to line things up... so i went in on Illustrator and created rules for when a line would move to connect to another line. I wish i knew how to program that, but for now I see it as Processing giving me the raw samples that I can start to manipulate. 

I did kind of the same thing with these, where I generated a drawing, and sampled it, then added another layer of rules where I hand adjusted elements. In this case, whenever there were two different colored triangles in a "square", I maded them both the same color, which gave me the effect of a more spacial drawing. 

Before adjusting

After adjusting

UPDATE 10/22

So with this project, I wanted to use a simple group of shapes, and work with a grid where there would be layers that varied in size, but would stay aligned to the grid. 

These were the shapes, and I gave a little space between each element in the grid. I then created a new layer on top that increased in size, but had to tweak the parameters on each one to fit into the grid of the basic units. 

1 x 1

2 x 2

4 x 4

8 x 8

10 x 10

Then I just tried different variations of sketches with varying numbers of each element (using blank elements to create spacing).

Then I tried to do one where I "trimed off" the extra elements that were covered with larger elements, and got something like this:

I also tried one where I did minimal "cleaning up", and added a white stroke to create seperation, which I kinda liked better:


Please sign in or sign up to comment.