I've updated the spread based on feedback received. The title page has remained the same, but I've relabeled images (v. 1) and (v. 2). My updates are <italicized>. Thanks everyone for your feedback!
I wanted to create photo essay of the doors I photographed on a trip to Europe. I used mostly filler text for the layout to focus on the format. I think I mostly kept it "safe" in terms of symmetry, but experimented with some of the fonts in terms of spacing. I chose Avenir as my body & subhead text and Eloquent PRO as header font. The pages are 6x6 (I liked the instructors use of nontraditional print format).
(v. 2) Based on feedback I took more advantage of white space and minimized the page number sizes so they are hopefully less distracting!
Since it's a short format book, I used the letters in "DOORS" as page numbers. I'm curious if people think that works.
(v.2) I decided to change the format significantly and I hope the text appears less heavy.
This spread - pages "O" and "R" have slightly different margins that the spread above. I wonder if I should keep it consistent throughout. I do like the extra whitespace here.
(v. 2) I noticed some pixellation with my image, so in v.2 I decided to scale the image size and change the cropping. I like how the image almost acts as columns within the overall page design. If you notice too I left a wide gap between text and image on this page and the previous page.
The final page I imagine as a place to finish the essay with a conclusion. I look forward to feedback - this is my first spread.