I haven't really created any patterns before, so all this was new to me! Doing it by hand was great, and seeing and doing the simple cuts was really useful, especially getting the diagonal pattern! In the end this was a mix of sketching and computer work. My sketches are always pretty rough and I wanted to tidy up and a have the mono and full colour versions.
Initial objects and themes were sketched whilst I was half watching tv. It started with fried egg which made me think of the Full English Breakfast, so I started thinking of other things you get in that disgusting/fabulous meal and sketched a couple of rough compositions.
The next stage was drawing up the uncut tile based on the rough(er) sketches and the early thumbnail.
My hand drawing is rough, so at this point I scanned it in to the computer and redrew it in Illustrator. Then I printed it, cut it out as per the lesson and drew in in some extra items to fill out the gaps a bit. Ultimately what was to be the black pudding was dropped as it was looking a bit too busy in that area.
Once this was scanned back in and the new bits redrawn, I moved over to Photoshop where I added the colour and completed the pattern!