After learning about the custom shape tool I wanted to try it out. So I followed the hidden path brief and came up with this! I am very happy with the result and it took a while not to get carried away with too many shapes, haha.
Edit: 2 months later....I did a new project!
And then I put in some characters.
The trick I used to make the extra characters belong in the image was I rendered them in their base colours first then after everything was rendered I used colour balance and tinted them slightly more red and yellow to match the lighting, then added some shadows to enhance form.
Original versions can be found here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Plwgn https://www.deviantart.com/robsa990/art/Trixie-and-the-OC-Disturbance-753990437