Here's the first step of my hand-lettering - tracing the font with a lightpad. I've chosen the Carolinea font for my lowercase letters. I traced Fonjava for the uppercase letters, but ultimately I think I'm going back to more Carolinea-style capital letters.
I then did several copies of the verse I'd like to use for the sympathy card in black ink and got the lettering and layout exactly how I wanted it. I then went to watercolor and used Dr Ph Martin Concentrated Watercolors on it - I'm thrilled with these watercolors! Since I'm going to be printing many of these, I scanned it in to photoshop. Here's the finished scan!