So I started off a bit slow and uninspired with 3 beetles I don't care for and then, since I'm not to keen on following rules, I adjusted it a bit. I moved on to butterflies and took five different styles from google photos and did my interpretation, then after critiquing, I did my own 6th butterfly with various aspects from the other drawings.
I went back and did three more beetles and critiqued them, making a 7th beetle with those critiques. I didn't focus on one particular aspect of style in each of the bugs because I'm a bit too impatient but I would like to in future exercises. line, texture, shape and other components of style are still addressed in the critiques I made.
I am pleased with the results and I would like to do a similar thing with leaves and flowers.
Updated: here are my flowers. I chose gerbera daisies and set it up similar to the beetles. First I drew and critiqued six different daisies, then I made a final one incorporating aspects I liked about previous daisies.