Bathroom Mural

Bathroom Mural - student project

For my first mural I decided to play it safe and try out a small space - so the en-suite bathroom became my practice wall.

The back and side wall were already painted yellow, so this saved a bit of time.

My original design had the "sky" as the original yellow, but almost immediately I started smearing some orangey pink paint in with the yellow. I thought as all the other colours were going to be flat, this deviation wouldn't be too jarring. 

Shortly after the pretty abstract sky painting part, I entered the "oh crap" stage:  The first hill that had the darkest green went on really patchy. 

Bathroom Mural - image 1 - student project

The second hill (the middle on) also went on quite patchy, and I was telling myself to stick with it. Surely if I just kept adding more layers it would work out...?  Thankfully it did and I got the opaque look I was going for.

After many layers of all the hill colours I was ready to put the tree in. Swatting away the voice of doubt and fear I opened a fresh paint pad (essentially a square sponge attached to a handle) and delved in.

Bathroom Mural - image 2 - student project

The paint pad worked a treat on the trunk of the tree, the paint went on thick and juicy first time, so just minimal re-touching.

In my original design I had a branch emerging near the towel rail, but that was a problem as I couldn't get into the space, so I just painted the branch further up the wall.

Bathroom Mural - image 3 - student project

So, my first mural is done, and I'm grateful to Mimi for sharing her process and giving me the courage to go from idea to reality.