I did some test prints to figure out if the accordion would work, check the colors and the registration (which was totally off, and still have to figure it out). Here are the results:
I tried printing at home, but ran out of ink so I went for Laser printing instead....
- I have to fix the colors, so it looks more pastel, like in my original design.
- Also, the proof helped me realize that my cover and back were in the wrong order :p that's good now.
- The registration with this type of binding was simply impossible (for next time I won't do solid colored areas since it makes it way easier to spot). I think what I'll do is print at home so I can measure and calibrate how much the paper is shifting when I turn it over to print the back. If you have run into this problem and have a solution any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I hope you guys like how it's looking, I'm having lots of fun!
I decided to mix both ideas, and illustrating everything. I will be printing and posting the result tomorrow, for now here's a sneek peek:
After doing the mental map of some fields and ideas, I selected the two that I wanted to do the most:
1. Backside: A photographic zine of portraits. I'm interested in using backs of people instead of face portraits. I was thinking this could be an Accordion or a Booklet.
In the case of a booklet, I was thinking of 12-18 pages, 8.5 x 5.5in, on uncoated paper, laser printed. I would love to go for stab stiched for this one and adding a couple of vellum spreads.
For the accordion version, I'd like to do 5.5 x 17in, 14 images + cover and back. Probably in a heavier stock so it can be displayed if wanted.
(Sketch at the bottom of the post)
2. Degoratory: A hand-lettered zine about names and personalities.
Ever had that feeling that someone looks like a "Joan" instead of "Lucy"? I think names have a heavy visual linked to them and sometimes you relate a name to a certain look or stereotype. I thought it would be fun to illustrate different looks for names and personalities.
2a. 11x17 folder laser print out with 6-8 showings of different names
2b. 5.5x17in accordion with 6 names and cover & back
2c. 5.5 x 4.25in Saddle Stitched Booklet with 12 pages, 8 names one on each page + Cover, Back and bookends
I still haven't decided which one of these two will do for the class, but I will probably develop both at some point. What do you guys say?