I tested a few of my brushes for flat washes. Somewhat surprised that I enjoyed the wet on wet a little more. Will still need to practice more.
Since I mixed so much of the mauve from the tube to work on this I decided to also do the next koi graded washes in different brushes to test them out. I think I learned more about my brushes from this exercise than from the flat washes.
I also of course did some colorful fish as well ;) I focused on new colors and colors I've had trouble with before. I'm not super happy with the Perylene Green one here, but I think working with the values made me like the color a bit more.
A lot of the work I have done before uses blooms purposefully, but they are super fun. For trying to prevent blooms I progressively used more water and am really happy with my results. I even accidentally dropped water on the second to last one and had to rush to save it which was good practice. Last row I tried creating blooms with colored water just to see what happened.
I had never actually tried glazing this way before or really focused on that. So far most of my practice has been about washes and a quicker style of illustrative water color. I found this really helpful and fun, even if slow.
Lastly here is my Rhino. I really enjoyed creating some of those wrinkle textures and enjoyed the way they were looking so I decided not to soften them off. I also didn't do too many layers as I was getting really happy with how he looked and didn't want to overwork him, and I wasn't sure at my level if I could do much more that I would like. I will probably try again and be a little more bold with layering as he looks a lot lighter in the scan than in person and I could probably fix that with more layers. Overall he's not perfect, but I'm happy with him. A good first attempt.