Updated Jan, 24th 2013
At first I was having trouble coming up with these – most of what I do doesn't seem very repetitive.
Then I thought about the monthly newsletter I try to send out to my mailing list. I have trouble getting it done on time. I realized I've never written down how I do it – never turned it into a list of tasks. It was on my to-do list as "start a draft of my newsletter" and that hasn't been working. So I decided to break that down.
Here's what I have so far (it's not done)
Hopefully this will give me some ideas for other processes. I'm realizing now I jumped ahead in my mind to "what can I outsource" instead of starting at the beginning with "what can I optimize."
As I make progress I will update this…
* * *
I'm behind the pace of the class, but here's an update of the final result. (I took out some of the specifc URLs so it might be more useful to others)
#The Process of coming up with a draft
* Find date of last sent update [from here](http://_______(archive URL))
* Collect links to all posts off my portfolio site since last update - add to txt file
* [talks, exhibitions,](URL)
* [new work](URL)
* determine most popular posts on these services and add to txt file
* [Facebook](https://www.facebook.com/PAGENAME) – also Facebook Page Insights
* [Twitter](http://twitter.com/USERNAME) since last update and look at http://twtrland.com for stats
* skim the following sites pinboard for other posts of note since last update - add to txt file
* OTHERT SITES
* Review calendar since last update for past travel and events to write about - add to txt file
* Review next months calendar for future events and travel to write about - add to txt file
* Review photos taken since last update, can anything be included? Export to a folder with the text file
* Review the last sent message and look for ideas or things to follow up on
Create the message
* Review the resulting txt file
* what is the **headline story** – the most important thing
* what is the top **action item** – something people should do in response
* what is something not connected to me that I can share?
* Write an intro around that headline, action item, and summarize other key points
* Is there a question I've been asked recently to include in the Q&A?
* Order the items in a list
* Fill out descriptions
* Write a short introduction
* Create a campaign in mailchimp
* copy each section (text blocks, images) into the campaign builder
* send test email
* Send message