Sorry, your browser is not supported
To have the best experience using Skillshare, we recommend that you use one of these supported browsers.

Ieva BielskÄ—

Freelance Illustrator and Linguist

318

13

100 Leaves

I choose LEAVES and here's my image of first 6 leaves.

a9ec5463

Brainstorming

e01cc338

Moodboard: https://uk.pinterest.com/zievab/moodboard-leaves/

f2b709a5

I didn't like my leaves created on the 1st day, so I redid them :) Besides, I want them all to be on separate pieces of paper (or other material), so I could assemble them when I finish the project.

Ha ha, just discovered how to change size of images in the project :D (EDIT: what's the point of letting people resize images, if after saving they are enlarged to the entire width of the project field anyway?)

So here are 6 "first" leaf designs - used an artist's pen, fineliner, a Magic Koh-i-noor Pencil (love it!), black and white gel pens and a white permanent crayon. The last two pieces, of today, are embroidered on felt.

f3a070ff

0668734b

DAY 3

Today I created one collaged leaf using technique I saw on Pinterest. And also a yin-yang inspired design, of which I made two versions, in my opinion distinct enough to be counted as individual pieces. And a tiny tattoo of a four leaf clover in fineliner on my forearm.

Ah, I forgot to rotate the BW yin-yan design... Maybe I'll update it later :)

92beda15

DAY ? I guess it'll be more convenient to replace days with sets :) So...

SET 3 (TOTAL 18)

1st image is a collaged wreath using 3 different handmade papers. In 2nd image I was inspired by a recycling logo, and got this minimal design, which I think I'll vectorise to make it neater. The last image is simply a rubbing of a dried leaf using a graphite pencil.

5ea98af1

Some doodles again. I tried for a an elegant medieval look in image 1 and almost ruined it, since I chose an artist's pen which was too thick for an a5 format. But I managed to salvage the pattern by lightening the stems with white dots. And actually it looks better than I first thought (when I was ready to throw it away but stopped myself in time). Image 2 is another vines pattern on watercolour wash. And in image 3 I tried to replicate leaf veins. I worried it looked more like those fan corals but it looks ok in a photo and when you distance yourself from the image :) The last image was done on a paper rolled over with blockprint ink.

cc1f44ce

Here's a closer look of the last image.

5b3ec591

And a few leftover ideas for another set of leaves.

00c3f137

Leaves 19-22

6caacd66

Leaves 23-32

My record number of leaves in a day! :) Wanted to do a few quick designs and also almost ran out of original ideas, so decided to try out a few printing techniques.

All 10 leaves drying on a wall.

3ec335b8

I like how the 1st leaf turned out, almost like a negative. Just rolled ink on it and then placed paper on it and brushed with a plastic card to make as much detail visible as possible. Other surfaces and techniques used: green tissue paper on a book page, marker pen, and a piece of gold gift ribbon which I flattened and cut into a shape.

92e2dfbd

The next 4: brown craft paper, a piece of green tissue paper painted with acrylics, my favourite of this set - made a leaf shaped watercolour wash, and did a monoprint with one half still damp, didn't know what to expect, but certainly happy with the result. And the last one was monoprinted on paper covered in printing ink (when I have more leftover ink which I don't want to waste, I roll it on some paper for later use for collages or in digital work).

532e5aad

Last 2: monoprinted the skeleton, then rolled ink on a handmade foam stamp and pressed it on paper. And finally a little experiment on negative space.

1/3 of the project done!

6f72e903

Comments

Please sign in or sign up to comment.