10 fun exercise in watercolor

10 fun exercise in watercolor - student project

Really enjoyed these excercises. One of my objectives in watercolor is to learn to have a more "flowy" stroke and let the water and color do their magic.

These ten excercises help a lot, specially with the blob flower and tulips!

I had two favorites, the feathers and the galaxy.

I was very surprise how using ink over watercolor "fixes" the "blobs" of color into really pretty compositions!

Really appreciate any comments! 

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 1 - student projectThe press and realese technique for the wreath really makes you get into a flow!

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 2 - student project

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 3 - student project

Definitely smaller strokes are a bit harder, but loved how from one branch you can make a very pretty composition!

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 4 - student project

Feathers love! I used salt and alcohol to bring dimension and texture!

I enjoyed this process a lot, the bleeding and letting it dry to get more layers works the patience ... but worth it.

I'm amazed with my feathers :)!

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 5 - student projectThe ink really creates magic into the "blobs" of color. I used a sharpie, I don't have microns (will buy some latter). While working on the exercise I was very skeptical of the results .... but at the end "voila" love them!!

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 6 - student project

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 7 - student projectI struggled with the strokes for both of these flowers, was very insecure of how much water and where to put the stroke, I need to just let it go ... I'm not in love with the results .... will practice more, for sure!!

10 fun exercise in watercolor - image 8 - student project

The galaxy ... loved this process. The way the water and color blended and how flowy the technique is; I used salt and alcohol again to gain dimension and texture and the white ink totally adds to the end result.

I needed to make a birthday card, so I thought what better way to use the galaxy and some letterings than this . I used brushes for the letters as I don't own the brushes Peggy suggested for the class.