Adrienne Wollman

Designer / Animator

235

3

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them."

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." - Mitch Hedberg


A little late to the party, but I'm very excited to get started! Hand-lettering is definitely something that I've been interested in for a while, although I haven't had much of an opportunity to dabble until now. I came across this quote a while ago and it really resonated with me, so I figured it'd be a good place to start for this project. 

I. Brainstorm & Word List

II. Moodboard & Insipiration

I'm definitely very intrigued by fine linework and the idea of botanical illustration elements for this. 

_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (10/24)

Took a stab at a few different styles for practice...need to work on spacing and the script iterations so I might try a few more practice rounds before moving on to thumbnails. 

_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (11/29)

My project thumbnails are always just a series of crazy scribbles...I find that they're more for me to organize my thoughts than for any real planning. For this project, I was always thinking about it in terms of a vertical composition, but I wanted to explore some horizontal ideas as well just in case. I had another two pages of these, but a lot of my early scribbles felt too generic layout-wise so I really tried to focus on what would make this more interesting. 

I ended up fleshing out two of these into more polished compositions. In all of these, the flowers are going to be marigolds, which are symbolic of death in Day of the Dead celebrations.

The third one idea that I had as I was in the middle of working on the other two. I was still feeling like I wanted to do something more interesting to tie the lettering back to the original phrase. I had fun playing with the bone lettering and the placement of text on this one! 

I'm leaning towards 1 or 3 for the final, but I'd love any feedback or opinions on that because I'm honestly torn! 

_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (2/25)

This project has sadly been one of those that keeps getting put on the backburner. I ended up going with #1 for the final, but it went through quite a bit of revising before it was done...

After my first round on the light table, I decided to revisit some of the letter forms becuase I started to feel that the composition wasn't feeling quite balanced and cohesive (let this be a lesson to me about sketches that are too loose!)

And finally on to the finished sketch to be inked and scanned:

I spent a lot of time agonizing over colors and finally landed on this for my finished product:

This was a really fun learning process. It's definitely not perfect, but I'm pretty excited to keep practicing more hand-lettering projects. 

Comments

Please sign in or sign up to comment.