Practice your tree and sky painting techniques as you create a lovely little landscape!
Skillshare Premium Members are invited to join us on Tuesday, May 18th at 3:00 PM BST (10:00 AM EST) for a live online Zoom session where artist Jen Dixon will share her approach to simply painting skies and trees into a pleasing composition. The session will run for approximately 60 minutes. Click the button above to register!
This live session will include:
- An overview of Jen’s way of approaching figurative work by using a pencil and paper to break down the subject into shapes, light, and shadow
- A chance to paint two scenes alongside Jen so you can try different techniques for creating your sky, foreground, and stylized tree
- Plenty of valuable color mixing and brush technique guidance along the way
Throughout the session, you’ll be encouraged to work alongside Jen and ask questions. While you can use any watercolor materials you have on hand to follow along, Jen recommends:
- Common mixing colors like Ultramarine Blue, Payne’s Grey, Cadmium Yellow, and Burnt Sienna (that’s right, no greens—Jen will be teaching you how to mix them yourself!)
- Two round brushes in Aquafine sizes 6 and 14, and also a wide flat brush
- Cold pressed watercolor paper
- Washi or masking tape
- Pencil and paper for sketching
- Paper towels
- Jar of water for cleaning
Jen Dixon works mostly in mixed media abstract and figurative painting, and is also an illustrator, and writer. Originally from Indiana, she now lives in a windy village on the North Cornwall coast of England. Having led her first drawing classes at the age of six, she’s now taught over 60,000 students on Skillshare in addition to private groups and individual classes.
How to Participate:
- Click the button above to register for the live session.
- On the day of the event, we’ll post a link to join the Zoom call. 15 minutes prior to the start time, we’ll open up the room so you can access the event. Make sure you’re subscribed to “Updates from Skillshare” in your account settings to receive an email reminder 15 minutes before the session starts.
- Come with your questions, or just listen in!
What to Know About Zoom:
- Zoom is a free online video conferencing tool. Download it to your device here. Note: Zoom will download automatically when you join your first call.
- Once you’ve joined the Zoom call, use the “chat” window to type your questions in real time. We’ll get through as many as possible!
- To make sure everyone can hear, we’ll be using Zoom’s “mute” feature so that audio is coming through from the teacher’s end only.
- You are encouraged (but not required) to turn on your camera.
- We want to keep Zoom a safe space for everyone — please abide by Skillshare’s community guidelines throughout the session.